[TriLUG] Re: Woody USB (was: SPARC Networking Failure)

Ben Pitzer uncleben at mindspring.com
Mon Jul 29 22:46:10 EDT 2002

Joey,

To be honest, I don't know how simple my problem is, or if, quite
frankly, I've even got a problem with USB per se, or if it's with other
software.

Basically, the wife and I purchased an HP OfficeJet d135
printer/scanner/copier/fax/coffee maker/protein synthesizer/transporter
pad/Bistromathics calculation device.  My attempts to get it working
under Debian Woody were somewhat thwarted by my lack of knowledge of USB
on Linux, usbdevfs, the hpoj OfficeJet driver software, quantum physics,
and their interactions as a whole.  I actually wish I did have some
simpler USB device to plug in there to see if I could get it to work,
but unfortunately, I do not.  C'est la vie.

In any event, it's a moot point, as my wife now has it working on her
Win2k machine, and we've kept the black and white LaserJet 6P that we've
had that works like a charm for my Linux printing needs.  Thanks for the
offer of help, and if I ever have the need to figure out USB on Linux in
the future, this list will be the first place I come.

Regards,
Ben Pitzer