[TriLUG] Balancing outbound internet connections

Nathan Conrad conrad at bungled.net
Thu Aug 8 21:40:31 EDT 2002

Hi,

I am soon to UNC-C for college. My dorm room has two RoadRunner cable
connections. I just spoke with my roommate and he will not bring his
own machine to campus. Thus, I will have two RR connections at my
disposal.

What Linux solutions are there for load balancing outgoing
connections? Is there some program that will detect which link has the
less traffic and use it for new connections?

I will be using a machine named Max for my router. I envision it being
set up something like:

RR #1 -----------|-|       |----Desktop
                 |M|       |
                 |A|--- HUB|
                 |X|       |

Max would run NAT using iptables. It will route the connection through
the least used Road Runner interrface.

Is something like this doable? Will it wreak havoc on protocols like
FTP that use multiple connections? Will it break web sites that rely
on each user coming from only one IP at a time? Will it work perfectly?

-Nathan

--
Nathan J. Conrad    (919) 929-6413   http://bungled.net
101 Cynthia Drive / Chapel Hill, NC 27514-6614