[TriLUG] Linuxisfor------- [CONTENT WARNING]

Ben Pitzer uncleben at mindspring.com
Sat Aug 31 22:15:49 EDT 2002

On Fri, 2002-08-30 at 10:40, Daniel Monjar wrote:
> if that's your environment I would question going to a site by that name at
> all.  I would also be looking for a new company.

<SNIP>

Daniel, I agree with what you're saying, but the unfortunate fact is
that companies can get (and have been) sued for this sort of thing, if
they don't create a policy against it.  The fact of the matter is that
if a company does not have a "proactive" stance against workplace
harrassment, then they are liable for damages to employees who sue.  I
think personally that people are just looking for ways to exploit the
system often enough, and that there have been employers in the past who
have been responsible and negligent in cases of workplace harrassment.
That, unfortunately, has opened the door for many people who look for
it, and in some situations manufacture it.  That reality doesn't change
the fact that the courts are more often these days deciding in favor of
plaintiffs.  The company is looking for a way to cover itself, and to be
honest, keeping my personal life off my work PC is a fairly easy thing
to do.  I don't want to get into the argument on the list about whether
the law is right or wrong in this case.  The fact, however, is that it
is the law, and as such, we are bound to obey it whether it's stupid or
not.  Much like the DMCA.  God knows I hate it, but short of lobbying my
legislator, there's not alot I can do about it.

Just my $0.02.

Regards,
Ben Pitzer