[TriLUG] RH8 and Evolution Problem

Thunder Bear thunderbear at yonderway.com
Sun Oct 6 02:00:34 EDT 2002

On Sunday, October 6, 2002, at 01:49 AM, Jon Carnes wrote:

> I have to agree with you about the new Macs, but then Macs have always
> been superior desktop boxes. The addition of BSD (unix) support to
> their
> OS is real coup.

I don't know that they were always superior desktop boxes, but I will
say that they were always taken seriously as a desktop.  I would not
even consider using a Mac as my primary box without the BSD
underpinnings.  My TiBook has thus become my primary "desktop".  There
are things I miss, sure, but overall I'm pleased.

> I also agree about BSD on the Back-end. The security of the systems is
> superior and the native support for ssh and ipsec make them superior
> firewall and VPN end-points.

You'll not find many people who preach the virtues of OpenBSD as much
as me but there are some huge chunks missing.  For example, ever notice
PAM was missing?  This unfortunately precludes OpenBSD from being used
in a lot of otherwise ideal roles because, like it's primary
maintainer, it doesn't play well with others (in the authentication
sense).

I think if you put two things in OpenBSD it would be a killer file
server:
1) PAM
2) nsswitch

And a personal visionary pick:
3) iSCSI

Thunder Bear

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."
-Abraham Lincoln