[TriLUG] mp3 support in Red Hat Linux 8.0

Greg Brown gregbrown at mindspring.com
Sun Oct 6 17:38:31 EDT 2002

RH still makes a fine server.  I'm running 7.1 on a PIII at work as my
primary pop mail server.  I installed it as an emergency outgoing SMTP
server during The Great Lucent Exchange Crash and it's still up and
running (only now with about 50 pop users).  For stuff like that RH
rocks.  Last time I checked my uptime on this server it was at six
months or so.  That's stable, in my book.  I'd upgrade the server to
8.0 but frankly I'm afraid to.  The thing just works great like it is.

It's still a bummer about the mp3 support.  I guess I can see why RH
didn't include it if there was an issue with paying $.75 per license.
That said, I would like to see some "unofficial documentation" about
how to get the mp3 stuff to work with RH 8.0.

RH was never really my desktop solution so I guess I won't miss mp3
support.  I wonder what Apple is going to do with OS X if the mp3 issue
raises it's ugly head with them.

If anyone at RH wants a good challenge then I have one for you.  Here's
what I want:

"Fix"  my Zapmedia Zapstation (http://www.zapmedia.com) so that:

1.  it runs RH
2.  it uses a mozilla browser that does not connect to any one
particular website first (i.e. just a regular mozilla browser that I
can type any URL into and comes up with the initial page as
file://something/whatever/blahblah/index.html or whatever)
3. can play oog files
4. supports ssh so I can access the zapstation remotely
5. runs Samba so I can mount windows shares (to expand disk space past
the 30 gig internal drive limit)
6. still plays DVD movies via the internal DVD player
7. still  uses the wireless keyboad, blah blah, and
8. still outputs video via RCA or S-Video and outputs sound via the RCA
jacks.
9. oh yeah, have some way to access the command line from the GUI
(displayed on the TV)

Any takers?

Greg