[TriLUG] Linksys WPC11 (wireless PC Card)

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Wed Oct 30 15:26:54 EST 2002

On Wed, 2002-10-30 at 15:21, Robert Baker wrote:
> Jeremy,
>
> I'm using DHCP.  Should I hard code the IP info into the card just to test?

Depends on what you're testing.  Remember, IP addresses have to do with
"layer 3" connectivity (network layer of the OSI model).   We first have
to worry about layer 1 (physical), which includes the information output
by "iwconfig".  Without a "physical" connection to the access point, it
really makes no difference what network configuration the card has.

> What about the errors I get when booting and in the log file (unrecognized
> card)?

Like I said, *some* driver is working, since you were getting the output
from "iwconfig".  So you should at least test it first before assuming
it's not working!

--Jeremy