[TriLUG] More specifics on Login Issues

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Thu Dec 19 10:18:40 EST 2002

On Wed, 2002-12-18 at 06:43, Jeff Tickle wrote:
> Thanks to everyone who replied and helped out, first of all.
>
> Let me be a little more specific though.  I am already logging in at the
> text-based login prompt.  When I type my username and hit enter, it just
> clears the screen and displays the prompt again without asking for a
> password.  So, basically, I can't log in.

Hm, could be there's something messed up with getty, the utility that
operates the text-based login screen.  Not sure exactly what to look at
though.  If getty isn't running the "login" program correctly, there
*should* be a message in /var/log/messages or /var/log/secure about it,
but maybe not.

> However, there are more problems now.  First, I still can't log in from
> a virtual terminal, which is bad.  Also, and this is probably related,
> the KDE screensaver does not accept my password to unlock my machine.

Or maybe something wrong with the PAM configuration?

This probably doesn't help too much, but since no one else had responded
yet I thought I'd at least mention those two things.  Good luck.

--Jeremy