[TriLUG] best method of - SOLVED

Greg Brown gregbrown at mindspring.com
Sat Jan 11 12:02:24 EST 2003

Hey all.  Thanks to everyone who helped out with my auto mail deletion
problem.  Here's how it worked out:

1. the ln -s /dev/null /var..../dontbotherme method
This worked great up until I rebooted the machine at which point the
symbolic link /var.../dontbotherme -> /dev/null magically became
/var..../BOGUS.dontbotherme.MT?? (I can't remember the last two
letters).  Anyway, at that point, once the dontbotherme user received
e-mail
no longer deleted itself because of the symbolic name change.  Weird.

2. the alias method
This didn't work for me either (probably do the fact that I never had a
chance to read the man page thanks to people bothering me non-stop).

3. the .forward | to procmail method
This worked.  And it continues to work.  New mail that arrives for
dontbotherme is magically deleted.

Thanks everyone!

Greg