[TriLUG] telocity->directvdsl->bellsouth

Rodent of Unusual Size Ken.Coar at Golux.Com
Sat Jan 25 15:39:52 EST 2003

has anyone actually made the last bit of this transition?  i'm
finally getting around to looking at it, and -- to be blunt --
bellsouth's terms of service seem to rather suck and be a
signifant step backward from telocity's/directvdsl's.

specifically, lower uplink speed, no static ipa, and this
little gem: "Reselling Service without express written
consent from BellSouth, or offering any public information
service using such accounts, such as running a Mail server,
Web server or FTP server, is prohibited."  makes me wonder
whether they block those ports inbound.. anyone know?

i've always been leery of tbe cable solution due to the
shared-bandwidth aspect (among others), but i'm wondering
if even that would be better than bellsouth.  afaics, bellsouth
is losing the added-value items that caused me to select
dsl over cable in the first place.

however, looking at twcnc i'm seeing other objectionable
things.. like 'rental' of the cable modem (anyone remember
when all telephones were the *property* of the telcos?),
special software (my home gateway machine is linux), required
'installation', on-premises inspections, et cetera.

bugger directvdsl for not being able to stick with it, and
having to throw us to these dogs.. :-)

of course, maybe someone here will tell me that all my concerns
are bogus, and either bellsouth or twcnc/rr rocks in their
socks..

i recall lots of discussions on this list about these providers,
but can't find any real set of answers to these.. so i ask 'em
again.

tia..
--
#ken	P-)}