[TriLUG] telocity->directvdsl->bellsouth

David R. Matusiak dave at matusiak.org
Sun Jan 26 15:03:57 EST 2003

i'll second (or third?) the speakeasy recommendation.  as a two-time
customer, i think they're doing a good job and constantly improving.
they have static IPs and you can buy more for $3/mo each.  solid
connections both in chapel hill and now carrboro.  last one was 384K
SDSL; this one is 1500down/384up RADSL.

i had to switch from directTV DSL, as well.  having to do so was made
easier for me by the Sales tech i spoke with over the phone.  package
is slightly more expensive than last circuit, but with some added
flexibility -- not to mention the longer track record.  :)

the only complaint i still maintain is that they do not accept
TechSupport (or anything but sales, really) queries in *email* format.
they started their MySpeakeasy portal several years ago, and basically
they expect you to use that for everything -- which includes checking
on the status of the network, sending problems/questions, various
account functions.  then you have to check back for their responses.  i
dislike this feature, and usually opt to deal with the wait on the
1-888 tech line and actually talk to someone.  all this must also
include the perspective that i can count the number of problems i've
had on one hand.  thats over 2 circuits and more years - fairly good
track record with me.

you can get shell accounts and check your mail on their servers using
pine (instead of the wonkily slow web interface).  overall, my
recommendation for them is pretty solid.  then again, i was quite happy
with TWC/Road Runner service (DNS issues aside), but at that point, i
just wanted AOL to be out of my casa.  YMMV.

good luck with your switch!   < http://www.ubergeek.tv/switchlinux/ >
dave m.
--
http://www.ibiblio.org/matusiak/bkmrk.html