[TriLUG] free (or very cheap) nonprofit web hosting?

Chris Merrill cmerrill at nc.rr.com
Tue Jan 28 11:09:24 EST 2003

Mike M wrote:
> I was wondering about low cost hosting as well.  I am fearful of using my own
> LAN as a public site.  I don't have enough security experience to do that.

I have very little security experience...for that matter I'm pretty
inexperienced with Linux, as well.  But thanks primarily to the help
I've received from this group, I've been running a Linux web/mail
server/firewall at home for about 2 years now.  AFAIK, there have not
been any break-ins to my machine in that time.  I check the logs
occasionally, and have never found anything suspicious, no rogue
processes, no e-mail originating from the server that was not expected.

There's only one way to get the experience...just do it!

Chris

disclaimer: my site is primarily for my family and a few friends, so it
receives very little traffic or attention.

--
Chris Merrill
cmerrill at nc.rr.com