[TriLUG] AOL's new email policy

Ken Mink kmtrilug at nc.rr.com
Fri Mar 28 14:07:52 EST 2003

On Fri, 2003-03-28 at 13:20, Kevin Flanagan wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-03-28 at 13:08, Ken Mink wrote:
>
> Ken,
>

>  Are you sure that they are looking at Dynamic addresses?  I can't
> really tell how they would know.  I would suspect that they are trying
> to do reverse lookups, and if you aren't coming from a registered domain
> they dump it, that's not quite common practice, but not that unusual
> either.

I'm fairly sure it's the dynamic ip that's causing it. Below is the
bounce message. My machine passes the open relay tests(does not relay)
and port 25 is not open to the outside anyway. I am on a dynamic ip, so
I assume that's the cause.

I don't think tying a domain to my ip will work. If they're going by a
list that RR has of dynamic ip's, it will still be there even if I have
a domain.

Even if I get a domain, unless I can get RR to set up a reverse look up,
the reverse will still resolve to their dynamic name. Unless I'm
misunderstanding how resolution works, the owner of the IP address
provides the reverse, if there is one. Owners of the name provide the
name resolution. No matter how many domains I tie to my IP, RR still
owns the address and provides the reverse lookup. I could be wrong about
that.

Ken

... while talking to mailin-04.mx.aol.com.:
<<< 550-The IP address you're using to connect to AOL is either open to
the
<<< 550-free relaying of e-mail, is serving as an open proxy, or is a
dynamic
<<< 550-(residential) IP address.  AOL cannot accept further e-mail
<<< 550-transactions from your server until either your server is closed
to free
<<< 550-relaying/proxy, or your ISP removes your IP address from their
list of
<<< 550-dynamic IP addresses. For additional information, please visit
<<< 550 http://postmaster.info.aol.com.