[TriLUG] Apache, MySQL & PHP

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Sun Apr 13 20:35:02 EDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-04-13 at 09:06, Heath Holcomb wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 13, 2003 at 08:07:36AM -0400, Nick Goldwater wrote:
> > I am running SuSE 8. After trying a variety of things I am now wondering how
> > you uninstall programs originally installed from source packages?
> > Any help is always appreciated!
> > Nick
> >

> If you haven't deleted the sources for the program, you *may* be able to
> run "make uninstall" from the source directory. There's no general
> way to uninstall stuff compiled from source, so if that doesn't work
> you're going to have to either hunt down the programs files manually or
> just live with it.
>
> It won't help you now, but there's a tool called checkinstall (search on
> google) that you may want to investigate for the future. It is supposed
> to solve this problem.
>
> Regards,
>
> Heath

Unless you've installed a bunch of stuff all at the same time, you can
trace down the files by using the creation date.  Also most apps tend to
congregate their files in one directory tree, so that helps a lot.

Unless you are running low on space though, there is really no reason to
worry about uninstalling.  You can simply disable the application.

Installing a new app over-top of the old generally works okay, as long
as you rename the configuration files before the new install.

Glad to hear that you are using the Source!  Isn't it a wonderfully
empowering experience!

Jon Carnes