[TriLUG] web log analyzer

burnett at pobox.com burnett at pobox.com
Tue Apr 15 04:23:39 EDT 2003

On Mon, 14 Apr 2003, ryan wrote:

> I'm looking into setting up a web log analyzer for our web site that is
> located off site in a hosting facility.  What I was hoping to accomplish
> was to set up a linux box that would monitor the logs remotely on site
> (of the IIS web server at the hosting facility).  I've looked into both
> awstats and analog, and the installs for both pieces of software seem
> quite straightforward when installing on the same machine where the logs
> are located, but can't seem to find any docs for what I'm trying to do.
>  Does anyone have a similar set up for what I'm trying to achieve, or do
> I just need to suck it up and install the log analyzers locally on my
> web servers?  thanks again in advance.  seems like you guys are always
> bailing me out whenever i've hit a wall...  :-)

Ryan:
Analog won't work with non-local log files.
http://www.analog.cx/docs/logfile.html
"All logfiles must be within your computer's file system (on disk, or at
least mounted under Unix, or on a mapped drive under NT) -- analog won't
use FTP or HTTP to fetch them from the internet."

Perhaps you could set up a cron job to scp or otherwise transfer the files
nightly from the web server to the web log analyzer server, if you
wanted.

The Sawmill web log analyzer claims to fetch remote files and analyze
them in the way you want, but I've had enough annoyances and hassles
dealing with Sawmill I'd have to actively dislike you before suggesting
you use it. Since I don't wish you ill :), I'll recommend don't bother
with Sawmill.

best,
badger at trilug