[TriLUG] Re: more spamassassin, procmail, damaged 'from' line and beyond

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Tue Apr 15 17:20:36 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-04-15 at 17:17, Turnpike Man wrote:

> --- James Manning wrote:
> > > [Turnpike Man]
> > > To:
> > > :0:
> > > /dev/null
> > >
> > > With that change, no longer would messages accumulate in caughtspam, but
> > they
> > > would literally disappear, right??
> >
> > yes, but false positives will happen at some point.
>
> This is good to know and other good info as well, but I don't know if I'm
> suddenly ready to jump into the spam/ham thing just yet.  If there was a way to
> determine where an email goes based on its number of hits, that would be great.
>  If an email message got 5.3 hits, I might want to label that as **SPAM** and
> check it myself to see... but if an email gets 15.3 hits, it would seem that
> would be unmistakably spam and should be immediately forwarded to /dev/null.
> Is there a way to do this?  After having this setup and running for a little
> while, and tweaking some basic settings along the way, maybe then I'll be ready
> for spam/ham AI learning!

The point is that you don't want to discard the spam, because then you
won't have it around any more for the learning phase.  (Though there is
also auto-learning, which will take care of the spam with really big
points.  If you set the /dev/null procmail threshold that you're
proposing to the same as the autolearn threshold, then there'd be no
need to keep around the really high-scoring spam.  This default is 12
IIRC.)

--Jeremy

--
| Jeremy Portzer       jeremyp at pobox.com       trilug.org/~jeremy     |