[TriLUG] DSL opinions

Michael Sh mnh_222 at lycos.com
Tue Jul 1 14:59:49 EDT 2003

Hi Josh,

I've been with Verizon DSL here in seacoast NH for almost a year now...My daughters live inland and could only get cable broadband...both are a BIG boost over dial-up.  I've had nothing but good luck with Verizon, but then I am just around the corner from the CO.

I can only recall one DSL outage that hit the Northeast including NY and it was for an hour or so.  My daughter hasn't been as lucky with cable, going through 2 modems (both supplied by the cable co.) within a year; several outages, and the usual slow-down during the busiest hours.

As far as the dynamic IP, http://www.dyndns.org and one of the "direct update" apps should do the trick...

That's just my $.02

Mike Shields