[TriLUG] Re: vsftp on Redhat - no xinetd conf file

James Manning jmm at sublogic.com
Mon Jul 7 22:04:52 EDT 2003

> I guess what you are really saying is that RedHat thinks we should run
> it as a stand-alone daemon... Then *why* is that better?

not sure security-wise (except that ftp-only servers wouldn't need to
run (x)inetd and therefore have one less piece of s/w to worry about
being vulnerable) but from a perf perspective you can be better off
with a single process serving your ftp needs rather than a new one for
each incoming connection.  For Red Hat's FTP needs, for instance, I'd
imagine vsftpd getting served out of (x)inetd isn't an ideal
situation.

It can't be *that* weird - I don't have postfix served out of (x)inetd
but noone asks me why not :)
--
James Manning <http://www.sublogic.com/james/>
GPG Key fingerprint = B913 2FBD 14A9 CE18 B2B7  9C8E A0BF B026 EEBB F6E4