[TriLUG] Samba and file Permissions.

trekkie at spamcop.net trekkie at spamcop.net
Mon Aug 18 20:26:10 EDT 2003

hello all -

One thing I've never quite 'gotten' was file permissions with respect to
groups on linux/unix.

I understand how to set them (values of 1, 2 and 4 with a max added of six)
but I've got a directory i'm sharing that I can't seem to see the contents
off.

First, in my smb.conf file for the said directory i have:

[mp3s]
comment = The Entire CD Collection
browseable = yes
writable = yes
create mode = 0664
directory mode = 0775
path=/home/mp3s

(and yes you RIAA spies I own every fricken CD in this directory and no I
don't share them using p2p programs)

second, the permissios on the files are set to 744 what I thought was full
to owner, read to group, read to everyone else.  Right?

So, I set the owner to trekkie (this account works fine) and the group to
users which both the accounts trekkie and angi belong to.

Angi can see the folders, not the contents.  trekkie can see everything and
it works fine.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

thank you

Tom