[TriLUG] mailman/postfix integration problem with bounce-processing

Christopher L Merrill chris at webperformanceinc.com
Thu Aug 21 11:03:46 EDT 2003

Mailman does some rather complicated bounce-processing that
apparently involves setting the Reply-To header with something
like:
     test-bounces+cmerrillx=nc.rr.com at mydomain.com
   where
     cmerrillx at nc.rr.com was the attempted address

The aliases file that mailman created contains this line:
   test-bounces:   "|/var/mailman/mail/mailman bounces test"

The bounce-messages are being rejected by Postfix:
   Aug 21 10:26:06 mydomain postfix/smtpd[6799]: 1C03673B74: reject: RCPT
    from ncmx03.mgw.rr.com[24.25.4.97]: 450 <test-bounces+cmerrillx=nc.rr.com at mydom
   ain.com>: User unknown in local recipient table; from=<> to=<test-boun
   ces+cmerrillx=nc.rr.com at mydomain.com> proto=ESMTP helo=<ncmx03.mgw.rr.
   com>

This, honestly, doesn't suprise me.  I don't see how they could possibly
be delivered with that addressing scheme.  Is there some special wildcard
processing that should be enabled in Postfix to allow those addresses
to be resolved to the "test-bounces" address that appears in the mailman
aliases file?

TIA,
Chris

Chris Merrill                      |  http://webperformanceinc.com
Web Performance Inc.               |  http://webperformancemonitoring.net

Website Load Testing, Stress Testing, and Performance Monitoring Software