[TriLUG] Troubled RH9

Aaron Bockover aaron at aaronbock.net
Sun Aug 24 18:03:27 EDT 2003

On my spare machine, I've upgraded from 8 to 9 to the new severn beta,
and never had any problems. You can also access up2date to install
updates, even if you didn't purchase the disks from a store, by
registering a demo account. The only thing RH asks for a demo account is
for you to fill out a usage survey every 90 days or something like that.
I've always downloaded ISOs from RedHat (actually, 9 and severn I
downloaded from BitTorrent torrents).

Returning the CDs shouldn't have solved anything, since the disks were
ok (you managed to install RH 9, so they're obviously not corrupt). The
problem may have been with your system hardware? Just for the sake of
trying, you might consider trying the Severn beta (will be 9.1 I do
beleive).

Good luck,
Aaron Bockover