[TriLUG] Troubled RH9

Mike Mueller linux-support at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 23 16:02:51 EDT 2003

On Saturday 23 August 2003 13:37, Roberto J. Dohnert wrote:
> I had upgraded from Red Hat Linux 8 to 9, during the course of this
> upgrade I had some massive problems.

Did you do the up2date thing?  I think you're entitled to limited access
since you actually bought a copy from the mfr.

> Everytime i would start an
> application, I would get a segmentation fault, the only thing that would
> work is GNOME, I did a full reinstall, everything appeared to be working
> fine until XMMS gives me segmentation faults, then Open Office gave me
> segmentation faults and every KDE app would give me a segmentation fault
> error.  I took the Package back to best buy and had it replaced, but
> still had the same errors, system logs would not report any problems
> although i was having them.

Exchanging the disks is not the solution.  You were able to boot and get
command line so your disks were fine.

>  I have since downgaded to RH 8, does anyone
> know what would cause those type of problems or is it something with
> that version of the distribution.

Try installing 9 again and install a minimal configuration (a plain jane
server, no X or anything).  Still segging? No?  Then rpm in gnome. Keep going
until you find the bad prog.  Yeah, it's a lot of work, but that's when the
lights come on.  Hopefully somebody will post something that's more creative.

I could never get 7.2 to work on my AMDs.  8.0 worked like a charm.  I mostly
use Debian stable because I wanted less change and good security.  I use 8.0
because my clients use it.  One wanted to use 7.3 but agreed to move up to
8.0.

You might want to post some details about your machine.  Never know if it
could be helpful.

What are the dates on your ISOs?  Compare them to what you find here:
http://www.redhat.com/download/mirror.html (of course you'll have to drill
down to a 9.0 set of ISO on one of the mirrors; I found a 3-13-03 date)

Good luck.  Keep us posted.
--
Mike Mueller
Registration No. 324881 (08/20/2003)