[TriLUG] Red Hat 9 upgrade issues

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Thu Aug 28 15:30:05 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-08-28 at 15:15, Frye, Matthew wrote:
> I'm getting ready to do a Red Hat 9 upgrade from 7.2 on a test box and it's
> production counterpart.  Can anyone offer suggestions, gotchas to look out
> for, etc.  The reason I ask is because I have noticed that the Red Hat
> Installation Guide is a frail wisp of it's former self.  When I bought the
> 5.2 distro in 1998, the book was hefty and chock full of good info.  The RH9
> Installation Guide is a scant 130 pages, mostly of pictures of install
> GUI's.  I don't need a book for that. Particular issues include ext2 to ext3
> migration, libraries, network considerations, etc.

If that machine was freshly installed with Red Hat Linux 7.2, it should
already be using ext3.  Be sure to read the RHL 9 release notes, as they
contain answers to a lot of your questions, and are newer than the
installation guide.

I don't think you'll have any big problems with the actual upgrade.
Instead the problems will likely be with applications whose config file
formats have changed, such as Apache, and third-party applications that
may no longer be compatible.  The test box will therefore be crucial in
flushing these things out.

You might want to try an RPM query to see if you've installed any RPMs
that weren't provided by Red Hat, and also check /usr/local/bin and /opt
to see if you've installed things "manually" from source.  These non-Red
Hat items may need to be upgraded separately to a RHL 9 compatible
version.

Here's an example of such a query:
	rpm -qa --queryformat '%{VENDOR} : %{NAME}-%{VERSION}-%{RELEASE}\n' |
sort -t :

(that should all be on one line, sorry about the wrapping.))

Also, once you do the upgrade, if you find that some software won't run
and gives you Glibc errors, remember about the LD_ASSUME_KERNEL
variables.  Read the release notes, they are very helpful.

--Jeremy

P.S.  Did I mention you should read the release notes?

| Jeremy Portzer       jeremyp at pobox.com       trilug.org/~jeremy     |