[TriLUG] NC*SA Meeting - TODAY, September 8 - Internet2 and NSF Middleware

Lisa Lorenzin lorenzin at 1000plus.com
Mon Sep 8 08:14:46 EDT 2003

The next meeting of the North Carolina System Administrators
organization (NC*SA) is TODAY.

Details about the meeting are provided in this note.  We hope to see you
there!

                    NC*SA General Meeting
               6:00 pm Monday, September 8, 2003
                     Dreyfus Laboratory
                 Research Triangle Institute
                  Research Triangle Park, NC

        Speaker: Mr. Michael Gettes - Duke University
        Topic:  Internet2 and NSF Middleware
	  Sponsor: Duke University CS Lab Staff

Abstract:

Middleware, or "glue", is a layer of software between the network and
the applications. This software provides services such as
identification, authentication, authorization, directories, and
security. In today's Internet, applications usually have to provide
these services themselves, which leads to competing and incompatible
standards. By promoting standardization and interoperability, middleware
will make advanced network applications much easier to use. The
Internet2 Middleware Initiative (I2-MI) is working toward the deployment
of core middleware services at Internet2 universities. The items
included under the heading of middleware differ depending on who is
making the list. Many interesting categorizations exist - for a good
discussion, see RFC 2768. These categorizations are all centered around
sets of tools and data that help applications use networked resources
and services. Some services, like authentication and directories, are in
all categorizations. Others, such as co-scheduling of networked
resources, secure multicast, and object brokering and messaging, are the
major middleware interests of particular communities, but attract little
interest outside of those particular communities. A popular definition
of middleware that reflects this diversity of interests is "the
intersection of the stuff that network engineers don't want to do with
the stuff that applications
developers don't want to do." (http://middleware.internet2.edu/)

Speaker Biography:

Michael joined Duke in April, 2003.  He was with Georgetown from August,
1999 to February  2003 in a leading role for network and compute
services development and deployment University-wide.  Previously, he
played a similar role at Princeton University for over 10 years.
Michael has been involved with network technology in Higher Education
since 1981 and has played major roles in the development of BITNET &
CREN and now works closely with the Internet2 Middleware initiative and
is a member of MACE working in the Directory/eduPerson, Shibboleth and
HEPKI project areas. Michael is also actively involved in establishing a
Bridge Certificate Authority for Higher Education (HEBCA supported by
EDUCAUSE) which will interoperate with the Federal Bridge CA (FBCA).
Michael has many years of operational experience with LDAP and directory
enabled applications such as central e-mail systems, alumni services,
white pages and associated security, policy and privacy issues for
Higher Education.  He has written papers, developed software and
presentations, and is an active participant in the Georgetown Institute
for Information Assurance, TERENA,  Net at EDU PKI, Federal PKI TWG and the
Common Solutions Group (CSG).  Michael continues to be an active member
of the Georgetown University Institute for Information Assurance (GIIA).

==============================

Our meetings are free and open to anyone with an interest in the topic
of the evening and/or system administration.  We will be providing food
and drink for the evening. If you have any questions please contact the
Steering Committee at: ncsa-steer at ncsysadmin.org

A map of RTI is available at http://www.rti.org/images/campus.gif .
Enter through the glass doors at the front; all of the doors except one
will be locked, but one will be open for our access.  Walk through the
lobby, go straight out the glass doors,  across the patio, and straight
into Dreyfus Auditorium.