[TriLUG] RH 9.0 routing

Greg Brown gregbrown at mindspring.com
Mon Sep 8 08:58:15 EDT 2003

I have a RH 9.0 machine and I need to set up routing.  I'm working
totally from the command line as there is no GUI installed on this box
at all.  Here's what I have and what I need:

I have three 3com ethernet cards.

eth0 will be connected to my ISP
eth1 will have a range of 192.168.15.0-254
eth2 will have a range of 192.168.16.0-254

Here is my /etc/sysconfig/network
NETWORKING=yes
HOSTNAME=babblefish
GATEWAY=eth0
GATEWAYDEV=""
FORWARD_IPV4="yes"

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 looks like:
DEVICE="eth0"
ONBOOT="yes"
IPADDR=""
NETMASK=""
BOOTPROTO="dhcp"

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 looks like:
DEVICE="eth0"
ONBOOT="yes"
IPADDR=""
NETMASK=""
BOOTPROTO="dhcp"

...and so on.

Since I have told this box that it should be forwarding packets and the
gateway is eth0 (from /etc/sysconfig/network) one would think this
setup would work but it does not.  If I cat
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward I can see that it is set to 0 (i.e. no
routing).  Setting this file to 1 via the echo 1
 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward doesn't seem to work either.

Any ideas?

Greg