[TriLUG] vsftpd & unknown command 500

Douglas Kojetin djkojeti at unity.ncsu.edu
Wed Sep 10 00:00:50 EDT 2003

thanks for helping jon-

here is the result of the command:

---------
rpm -qi vsftpd

Name        : vsftpd                       Relocations: (not
relocateable)
Version     : 1.1.3                             Vendor: Red Hat, Inc.
Release     : 8                             Build Date: Fri 28 Feb 2003
02:21:36 PM EST
Install Date: Fri 08 Aug 2003 03:56:00 PM EDT      Build Host:
daffy.perf.redhat.com
Group       : System Environment/Daemons    Source RPM:
vsftpd-1.1.3-8.src.rpm
Size        : 149635                           License: GPL
Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Thu 13 Mar 2003 04:50:02 PM EST, Key ID
219180cddb42a60e
Packager    : Red Hat, Inc. <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla>
Summary     : vsftpd - Very Secure Ftp Daemon
Description :
vsftpd is a Very Secure FTP daemon. It was written completely from
scratch.
----------

I am running it as a service.

Of course, now, for some odd reason (at night; this happened during the
day; i don't know the relevance of that) ... the first time I type
"ls", I get the 500 error. Subsequent executions, however, do not
produce the error ... and I can upload and download freely.

I did move the box around today, restart, etc. ... maybe it needed a
restart?

Hopefully the problems will not come back.  The odd thing was SSH/SFTP
worked just fine ... FTP did not ...

Oh well (for now).

Thanks-
Doug