[TriLUG] Re: Mandrake

James Manning jmm at sublogic.com
Thu Oct 23 16:25:47 EDT 2003

> > > I feel a little lost and listless with Red Hats change.  I like the
> > > look of Mandrake but the pressure for the club may be too much.  I am
> > > not ready for a monthly fee for linux.  I do not feel ready for the
> > > challenge of Gentoo or Debian against my hardware.

IMHO, the "challenge of Debian" is really gone with Knoppix around.

Boot knoppix, play around, see if you like it, if you do, run their
knoppix-installer program and you're done.

It's not the "typical" workflow for Linux installation, but it's a
valid one and ends you up with a great Debian system :)

Nothing against Mandrake or others, of course, just trying to keep it
pointed out that even though Dan showed that Debian's installation is
pretty simple, it can be even simpler (and very purty) via
install-by-Knoppix routes :)
--
James Manning <http://www.sublogic.com/james/>
GPG Key fingerprint = B913 2FBD 14A9 CE18 B2B7  9C8E A0BF B026 EEBB F6E4