[TriLUG] Laptop Linux

Phillip Rhodes mindcrime at cpphacker.co.uk
Sat Dec 13 16:01:14 EST 2003

Roberto J. Dohnert wrote:
> I would actually like to know, what is a good Laptop for Linux?  The
> Laptop I had before battery life wasnt that great and sound didnt work.
> On the Toshiba Satellite that I use now I am having to use Windows XP
> because my TrackPad doesnt work and sound doesnt work.   Can someone
> point me in the direction of Satellite drivers for Linux?

I'm running RedHat 9 on a Toshiba P25-s507 laptop, and most
stuff worked without too much trouble, out of the box.  The biggest
thing I've had trouble with is the built-in 802.11 adapter, which
uses an Atheros chipset.  There is an "official" Atheros driver for
Linux, but I haven't been able to make it work yet.  To be fair
though, I haven't spent a lot of time on it yet.

FWIW, there's a Toshiba page that has some information about
running Linux on Toshiba systems.

http://linux.toshiba-dme.co.jp/linux/

HTH,

Phil

--
When the 1st Amendment no longer protects your voice.
And when the 4th Amendment no longer protects your privacy or your stuff.

FREE AMERICA
Vote Libertarian
www.lp.org