[TriLUG] Partitioning for n-booting

Joseph Tate jtate at dragonstrider.com
Tue Jan 6 16:51:04 EST 2004

Mike Mueller wrote:

> I partitioned the hard disk on my laptop using DOS FDISK.  I created a FAT32
> partition about 6GB and formatted it. The remainder of the disk was left
> unpartitioned.
>
> I popped in the Toshiba recovery disk and expected it to load into the small
> partition I created.  Instead, the dang thing re-partitioned and re-formatted
> the disk into an NTFS partition and ran the Symantec Ghost restore program.
>
> I think I am stuck with having to buy Partition Magic so I can reduce the
> NTFS partition so I can load GNU/Linux.
>
> The NTFS partition is not well handled by non-Partition Magic
> re-partitioners.  The recovery disk is not a real XP installer so I don't
> have options for re-installing.
>
> Am I missing something?

IIRC, OEMs are required by Microsoft to provide install media if
requested.  In fact some laptops come with recovery disks (which behave
as you described) as well as a separate drivers and installation disk.
You might check again to see if you have another CD, or contact the OEM
to see if you can acquire the proper media.