[TriLUG] Partitioning for n-booting

Mike Mueller linux-support at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 6 23:47:56 EST 2004

On Tuesday 06 January 2004 21:38, Mike Mueller wrote:
> Now, how should I delete the hybernation and swap files?
>
> STFW tells me they are c:\hyberfil.sys and c:\pagefile.sys

More STFW suggests that these files should not be deleted.  Instead, I found
how to make pagefile.sys a static size.  I reduced it to 512 MB (the same
size as RAM).

I am developing a howto for posting to the web; here's what seems to be
working so far:

In XP
1. adjust Virtual Memory size; go to control panel; switch to classic view;
double-click on System; select Advanced tab; select Settings button in
Performance
section; select Advanced tab (again); under Virtual Memory select Change;
select custom size with initial size of 512 and maximum size of 512; click OK;
restart XP to have changes take effect (of course, this is still Windows)
2. defrag the disk; control panel->administrative tool->computer management->
disk defragmentor->defragment

Boot Knoppix 3.3
1. insert CD
2. start or restart
3. Watch bottom of boot screen for message: Press [F2] for SETUP, Press [F12]
for boot device selection menu; press F12 as soon as you see this message; it
may take you several iterations of steps 2 and 3
4. You should get the gray and blue Boot Menu; arrow down to "CD-ROM/DVD
Drive"; press Enter
5. KDE menu->KNOPPIX->Root Shell
6. in Root shell enter: qtparted
7. widen the qtparted dialog box

qtparted
1. click on /dev/hda1 in the Device box in the lefthand side of the GUI
dialog box
2. the system chews on the disk and then the partition info for this device is
displayed in the righthand side of the GUI dialog box.
3. select partition 01 (the only one)
4. select "Resize" under the "Operations" menu
5. Enter 5726 MB in the New Size field of the Resize Partition dialog; enter
tab;
Free space after is now 51505.53 MB; Free space before is 0 MB
6. Click OK
7.Answer YES to are you sure?
8. Progres warning: The partition is fragmented. Try to defragment it, or
resize it
to 12315MB; press OK
9. do steps 3-4; Enter New Size of 12315 MB; Free space before is 0 MB and
Free
space after is 44916.53 MB; press OK; press OK to are you sure
10. Note the HD LED on steadily; press OK when progress indicator reaches 100%
11. Note the righthand side of the qtparted dialog box now indicates two
partitions

Change back to XP and verify NTFS parition is smaller
1. KDE->logout
2. observe knoppix shutdown; CD will be ejected; remove; press Enter
3. power up
4. observe XP running
5. observe a blue screen indicating CHKDSK is running
6. log in
7. observe dialog: System Settings Change
Windows has finished installing new devices. The software that supports your
device requires that ou restart your computer. You must restart your computer
before the new settings will take effect.

Do you want to restart your computer now?

Click YES

8. log in yet again
9. control panel->Administrative Tools->Computer Management->storage->disk
Management; observe C: is 12.03 GB NTFS and 43.86 GB are Unallocated
10. observe system behaving as expected

My next steps are to ensure the XP partition works for accounting and taxes.
I'll then install Knoppix to a new partition.  I think I'll create a file
sharing FAT32 partition too.
--
Mike Mueller
324881 (08/20/2003)