[TriLUG] Partitioning for n-booting

Mike Mueller linux-support at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 6 21:38:37 EST 2004

On Tuesday 06 January 2004 17:20, Carlos J. Cela wrote:
> Mike,
>
> You can use qtparted or ntfsresize to resize an NTFS partitions (Google
> for their home pages). They work well.
>
> You can download them (check out because it depends on several
> packages),  or just use a Knoppix 3.3 CD (which is very nice to have
> handy, BTW).  Qtparted is self-explanatory. Just launch the Gui. It is
> just a front-end to ntfsresize.

Got Knoppix 3.3 and it boots just fine.

> Before using a resize utility, make sure to defrag the partition (it
> will refuse to resize if fragmented). Also, you might need to delete the
> hybernation file and the swap file (both are system & hidden) on the
> NTFS partition before resizing. The reason you need to delete those
> files is that the $%^# windows puts them at the end of the partition and
> they cannot be moved. It is safe to delete them - Windows will recreate
> them on the next reboot.

Found qtparted.  It has to be run from the root console (under KNOPPIX menu
item).  Even though the XP was a fresh restore, qtparted said the disk was
fragmented.  I went back to XP and defragged the disk.

Now, how should I delete the hybernation and swap files?

STFW tells me they are c:\hyberfil.sys and c:\pagefile.sys

Can't delete them from XP because they are in use.

In Knoppix root shell I modify /etc/fstab to mount /dev/hda1 as rw.  The
mount command shows /mnt/hda1 as type ntfs (rw,nosuid,
nodev,umask=000,uid=1000,gid=1000)

Then I try to "rm -f /mnt/hda1/pagefile.sys" and I get:
rm: cannot remove `/mnt/hda1/pagefile.sys': Read-only file system

> Hope this helps,

It does.  Thanks to all that responded.

--
Mike Mueller