[TriLUG] PHP for Mandrake 9.1

Sinner from the Prairy sinner at escomposlinux.org
Fri Jan 9 19:15:54 EST 2004

On Fri January 9 2004 03:333am, Andrew DeFaria wrote:

> I was at work when I was doing this and had logged in remotely to my
> Mandrake machine at home. My home DSL has been spotty so perhaps that
> was the problem. I'm attempting to reproduce the error...
>
> OK, here it is:
>
> # urpmi.addmedia main
> ftp://ftp.stealth.net/pub/mirrors/ftp.mandrake.com/Mandrake/9.1/i586/
>Mandrake/RPMS with ../base/hdlist.cz

> (...)
>  ...retrieving failed: curl failed: exited with 7 or signal 0

> retrieve of source hdlist (or synthesis) failed
> no hdlist file found for medium "main"
> examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.main.cz]
> problem reading synthesis file of medium "main"
> unable to update medium "main"
>
> Since this didn't work I'm not sure I can get any further.

Ah! this is a commoon and certainly annoying sideeffect of urpmi set up
to use "curl" by default.

I recommend you to use urpmi with "wget". (if it's not installed, please
install "wget".

Then, whenever you are pointed to use "urpmi......" go ahead and type
"urpmi --wget ..."

curl is very unforgiving for network timeouts. wget is more "robust" and
can take longer timeouts, and resumes nicely.

Hope this helps.

Salut,
Sinner
--
http://www.ibiblio.org/sinner/     Linux User # 89976
Testing Mandrake 9.2 -    Linux Machine # 38068