[TriLUG] opportunity to promote linux to MBAs

Michael Hrivnak mhrivnak at triad.rr.com
Mon Jan 19 18:11:03 EST 2004

Dear list,

I have an opportunity for someone to come speak to 20+ MBA students (who
in 5 years will be making the management decisions in major corporations
in North Carolina) about the open source community and how it interfaces
with the business community.

Currently, I'm an MBA student at UNCG's Bryan School and a member of the
Bryan School's MBA Association.

http://www.uncg.edu/bae/mba/mbaa/

We have periodic seminars in which a guest will speak to our members for
approximately one hour about some topic that will be of benefit to them
as aspiring managers.  Most of them probably know very little about
linux.  Note that we also have a Masters of Science in Information
Technology Management as well as an undergraduate degree in Information
Systems Management, all of which would be invited to this event.  I
think it would be beneficial and of interest to have someone make a
presentation on what linux and open source software are, and more
importantly, how they can make a difference for a business.  When is
open source appropriate?  What about cost?  What about support?  What
about training employees?  What about my current IT staff?  Does this
change my hardware needs?  Etc.

I've been wanting to make it to one of these business roundtable
meetings, but my schedule in Greensboro hasn't allowed it.  Perhaps for
name credibility in the interest of attracting an audience, it would be
nice to have someone from Redhat.  Also, Redhat would stand to benefit
from making such a presentation to a group of aspiring managers.  Since
I am sure any number of members of this list and others would be
qualified for such a presentation, I am open to other suggestions.
Unfortunately, I have nothing to offer as compensation for the time and
trip to Greensboro beyond the satisfaction of helping out.  If
scheduling allows, I'll buy dinner.

So, I appeal to you for recommendations on who I might contact that
would be interested and qualified to make this presentation.
Additionally, I would love to hear comments on the content I've
suggested and experiences with any similar attempts to explain
linux/open source to the masses.

Thank you,
Michael Hrivnak