[TriLUG] updating multiple systems at once w/ yum

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Fri Feb 6 09:25:35 EST 2004

On Fri, 2004-02-06 at 09:03, Douglas Kojetin wrote:
> Hi All-
>
> I have a few very similar systems (almost exactly the same in hardware
> specs, and the same RedHat 9 packages installed) with which I would
> like to utilize some sort of update protocol (I use 'yum') so I would
> not have to download packages more than once (i.e. download package to
> one system, and use them or transfer to the others systems).
>
> Could anyone offer any links and/or instructions to help me set
> something up ... or point me in a certain direction?
>
> Many thanks,
> Doug

You could run a Current server but that is a bit much for just a few
servers... I run a box with rsync pointing at a local mirror (for RedHat
Updates), then I manually load that "Update" directory via NFS to my
other servers and run:
  cd /mnt/rh9/Updates
  rpm -F *.rpm

After a minute or two all my rpms are up-to-date on the server, and I
unmount the drive and drop nfs.

All this could easily be done in a cron job:
  # assuming I've already opened a path through
  # both firewalls to allow NFS traffic between
  # the two servers:
  #
  /etc/rc.d/init.d/portmap start
  mount foo.bar.com:/home/RedHat/rh9 /mnt/rh9
  date
  echo "Running RH9 updates on server: Foo"
  cd /mnt/rh9/Updates
  rpm -Fv *.rpm
  sleep 10
  cd /
  umount /mnt/rh9
  /etc/rc.d/init.d/portmap stop

If I put that script in the root's cron table on a server that would
update my server each time it was run and send a status message to the
root user of the server.

If you need help setting up nfs please see:
http://www.trilug.org/~jonc/nfs/nfs_nis_automount.txt

I hope that is helpful - Jon Carnes