dev resurgence (was Re: [TriLUG] simple regular expression to strip HTML?)

Tanner Lovelace lovelace at wayfarer.org
Wed Feb 18 22:45:18 EST 2004

Mike M said the following on 2/18/04 10:59 PM:

> On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 09:28:30PM -0500, Jeremy Portzer wrote:
>
>>I would have posted this to the dev@ list, but we've discontinued it...
>>:-|
>

> :-( It was good while it lasted.  FWIW I've been railing against the C++
> godz.  I'm gettin' a little tired of being lashed by the
> the standards bearers.
>
> Any C coders out there?  Have you heard that the standards bodies
> are doing away with .h extensions for #include files. stdlib.h becomes
> cstdlib.  Yeah. Like I'm going to remember that.  Like anyone is going
> to go  through the entire body of open source and closed source code
> to make such changes.  Compiles will be _filled_ with warnings on
> deprecated use of .h files. Hah!  It'll never happen, says I.

This has been the case for C++ for a while.  Is C finally catching
up?  Personally I think it's bogus.  How else will the editor know
you're editing a header file without you putting stuff in like emacs':

// -*- c-mode -*-

at the beginning or end of every file.

Cheers,
Tanner
--
Tanner Lovelace       | Don't move! Or I'll fill ya full of... little
lovelace at wayfarer.org | yellow bolts of light! - Commander John Crichton