[TriLUG] OT: Contemplations on tolerance...

William Sutton william at trilug.org
Wed Mar 3 07:46:12 EST 2004

OK, I succumbed in a moment (or two or three) of weakness and joined the
crowd during the flamefest.  I'll work on being more genteel :)

Now then, I believe the gentleman from Calgary wasn't trolling to start
trouble.  I believe he got his monthly reminder, probably for the first
time, and panicked.  It probably wasn't the best or brightest reaction
he's had in a while, but I'd bet my slices of pizza at the next meeting
that we've all had a similar reaction at one time or other.

I agree that what makes us strong is helping each other.  My friend Mark
Spencer, when he introduced me to Linux, told me that helping people was
"The Linux Way" (TM).  By the same token, you can't hold someone's hand
on everything.  There comes a time when you have to show them how to fend
for themself.  Mark's response to me, at a certain point, was to ignore
questions or reply that I should read the manual.

In mentoring people myself, I've taken the tack that if I can answer the
question the first dozen times, I do.  After that, if I know the answer, I
go socratic.  If I don't know the answer, I suggest possible resources, or
suggest a google search or two.  Eventually, like myself, they find other
sources to get information from.

Part of the problem with mentoring newbies is sensing whether they have
the skills at hand to troubleshoot their own problems.  If they don't know
the basic commands (ls, rm, find, which, locate, grep), how to use them,
and basic system layout, giving them a "poke" isn't going to help them.

Now, back to the poking.  We didn't give our acquaintance from Calgary a
poke.  We singed his back side and slammed the door on it for good
measure.  Argue it how you like, the evidence is on the list archives, and
we flamed him.  Admittedly, from a RTFM POV, his question looked
ridiculously stupid, and we ridiculed him.

Jon is right.  Those of us who flamed should be ashamed...and should do
better.

William