[TriLUG] The next Arpanet? 10 Billion bits per second? "Woah"

Timothy A. Chagnon tchagnon at nc.rr.com
Wed Mar 3 19:06:43 EST 2004

On Wed, 2004-03-03 at 16:42, Joshua Gitlin wrote:
> Just saw this in the News and Observer. [
> http://newsobserver.com/business/story/3385140p-3011134c.html ].
> Thought it might interest some people here. I'd love to learn more
> about it. I can't tell if it's IP based, or what. Sounds cool though!

>From what I know of it, the NLR will pass through Level3's facility
around here somewhere.  Then the connection is made directly to MCNC @
RTP which is on NCREN's network, giving access to all the institutions.

This is a pretty cool project, but I don't think end-users will see any
changes from it.  My knowledge of it comes from MCNC's involvement in
efforts to facilitate regional grid computing.  I'm guessing that the
NLR will be used for similar projects, or to expand grids nationally.

Just what I've heard.
-Tim
--
Timothy A. Chagnon <tchagnon at nc.rr.com>