[TriLUG] VHS to digital video

Andrew Perrin clists at perrin.socsci.unc.edu
Thu Apr 8 09:02:02 EDT 2004

On Thu, 8 Apr 2004, ALFRED JOHNSON wrote:

> All you need is one of Panasonic's DVD recorders which you can purchase
> at Circuit City. You just connect your VCR recorder into the front or
> back of the unit (which incidentally doesn't even require the use of a
> computer), put a blank DVD disk and record. If you would like to have a
> TiVo machine without having to pay a monthly fee or even have to
> connect a box up to the telephone, Panasonic also makes a DVD recorder
> with an 80 gig hard drive installed. In fact, they are on sale for
> around $500 at the Circuit City in Cary. Why tie up a computer when
> there are stand alone devices you can use instead. --- Al Johnson.

Thanks, that's a reasonable idea, but what I actually need is to put clips
on the web. For example, I want the students in one class to watch a short
video clip, then analyze it in terms of class readings. I'd like to have
them watch it from the course website.

What I ended up doing is buying this:
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10340442&hdwt=0&loc=101&sp=1

I'll let y'all know how it works out.