[TriLUG] Blocking Attachments in Exim/A really wack network admin

Joshua Gitlin josh at glowfilms.com
Fri Apr 9 19:02:25 EDT 2004

Hey TriLUG,

I received a message today from the network admin of USFamily.net. They
appear to be a small ISP in Minnesota that resells XO Communications'
dial up accounts and Qwest's DSL accounts. This guy complained that my
server was sending him "unnecessary and irresponsible bounce messages".

Now, the "unnecessary and irresponsible bounce messages" in question
are bounces of messages containing potential virus attachments (*.pif,
*.exe, *.scr, etc). I have these defined (like everyone else) in
/etc/antivirus.exim. He is complaining the the user(s) with viruses
aren't his users, and that the virus is forging the From: address, so
his users are getting bounce messages from me that they don't deserve,
and this is causing him to have to do more work. (I guess he didn't
read his job description)

He doesn't seem to care that bounce messages like these are standard
practice and therefore has blocked my server from sending him emails
entirely.

My questions are:

1. Should I care? is it worth my time to resolve this problem to
appease one lazy sysadmin? I do have a few clients with online stores
on my server that need to send emails to their customers. I don't want
to prevent my customer's customer from getting their online order
invoices, etc.

2. Is there any way, with Exim, to block messages with attachments like
these while the SMTP session is still open, so that bounce messages
never need to be sent?

3. If #2 is not possible, can I just stop sending him  bounce messages?
How would I do that in Exim?

Thanks guys!

-Josh

Due to the recent increase in spam and falsely sent email, I now PGP
Sign all of my outgoing mail to prove my identity. This means that you
will see an attachment called "PGP.sig" with this message. This
attachment can be used to prove that I am who I say I am. If you are
not familiar with PGP, you can safely ignore it. For more information,
please visit http://www.pgp.com/ or http://www.gnupg.org/