[TriLUG] Linux Clustering (high availability) and file systems

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Tue Apr 27 15:34:00 EDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-04-27 at 14:42, Tarus Balog wrote:
> Gang:
>
> Okay, I want to make a particular file system highly available.
>
> For example, suppose, just suppose, I had a directory called
> "/var/opennms" that I wanted multiple machines to be able to write to.
> So if I had two active machines writing to that file system, and one
> died, I'd have a third machine that could come on-line and pick up
> where the failed machine left off.
>
> It has to be fast and reliable (so nothing like NFS). Has anyone worked
> with SAN equipment where we could dual attach two or more machines over
> SCSI or Fiber Channel?
>
> How do Linux Clusters handle making data highly available.
>
> Relevant links and RTFM suggestions welcome.

Hi Tarus,

I'm a "performance guy" (scientific computing), not a "high availability
guy", so please take these comments with a grain of salt.

Our Linux clusters, and in fact the majority of the Linux/Unix clusters
I work on use NFS.  And yes, NFS implementations on Linux have been
somewhat flaky in the past but the situation is much better these days.
We're using them on a 24/7 basis and have many more problems from "other
things" (eg. hw failures, power outages) than true NFS problems.

In any case, commercial alternatives include:

  Sistina:
    http://www.sistina.com/home.html

  IBM's GPFS:
    http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/clusters/software/gpfs.html

and, AFAIK, Coda and InterMezzo aren't "there yet" and OpenAFS is only
available for older kernels.

Good luck!
Ed

--