[TriLUG] TriLUG ReplyTo

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Thu Apr 29 15:53:55 EDT 2004

If you login to Mailman, and look at the bottom of the User's
preferences page, you will see a section entitled "Avoid duplicate
copies of messages?"  It does precisely what it's description says:
"When you are listed explicitly in the To: or Cc: headers of a list
message, you can opt to not receive another copy from the mailing list.
Select Yes to avoid receiving copies from the mailing list; select No to
receive copies."

It's unlikely that anyone is receiving duplicate copies of messages
unless they explicitly choose to.  I believe by default, for new members
to the TriLUG list, that option is set to Yes.  Perhaps Tanner or one of
the other admins can clarify that (General page, Additional Settings,
Filter out duplicate messages to list members).

The original source of the user's name being in the headers is if they
have a Reply-to field set by their email client.  If so, Mailman will
only add to that, not strip out the existing reply-to(s) from the
message.  This behavior is also configurable at the Mailman general
options page, although given the situation I'd almost guarantee that
it's not set to strip additional Reply-to headers, or we wouldn't be
having this discussion.  :)

Aaron S. Joyner