[TriLUG] requirements for classes...

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Fri Apr 30 07:34:19 EDT 2004

As Rock pointed out, recording something already low-bandwidth friendly
would be very different than the situation you propose of recording
entire meetings.  I don't think we have the bandwidth resources to do
that and provide it available over the web, yet.  On the other hand, I
wouldn't be too opposed to DV'ing the meetings, and providing copies of
them on DVD for archival by TriLUG.  I have a nice Sony MiniDV cam,
although I would need to purchase or in some way acquire a tripod
suitable for extended recording.  Net result being that TriLUG could
develop an archive, and potentially sell the DVDs (to cover the cost of
media), to those club members who might be interested in catching back
meetings.  Another option would be keep one copy  of each meeting in the
TriLUG library (retaining a backup copy, of course), and if someone
wanted to check out the DVD and make their own copy, that would be
perfectly acceptable.

If we can compress a meeting acceptably, where it could be delivered
digitally, that's just an added bonus.  I don't think that's too far
beyond realistic, but it would take some experimentation to find what an
acceptable compression level is, for both viewing and bandwidth
considerations.  At the very least, we should make the audio available,
as that's a piece of cake.

Aaron J.