[TriLUG] OT: looking for "red" plenum zip ties

Mike M linux-support at earthlink.net
Thu May 13 23:31:38 EDT 2004

On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 11:07:23PM -0400, Jon Carnes wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-05-13 at 19:39, Mike M wrote:
> > On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 01:26:27PM -0400, Jon Carnes wrote:
> > > I'm looking for about 20 plenum rated zip ties that are the color red.
> > Try here:
> >
> > http://www.google.com/local?hl=en&lr=&q=connect-it&near=Raleigh,+NC&radius=0.0&latlng=35771944,-78638888,35848279,-78598210&oi=locald
>
> That's funny!
>
> Connect-It is where I bought the clear nylon plenum zip-ties (because
> they are out of the red ones). I tried a bunch of places including the
> very expensive Graybar electric - they all would happily sell me the
> clear nylon plenum zip-ties but none of them had any of the old Red ones
> in stock.

WHen it's all over, you should make everyone aware of
Zippy-The-Pinhead-Inspector with a red color fetish.  At least you'll
be helping others.  I'd ask the head inspector for ruling on the
red zip-ties and have him speak to the local suppliers as well.  I know
some folks at UL who should be aware of this fiasco too if it gets out
of hand.

They make color coded Romex so that illiterate labor can understand
which gauge wire to use in a circuit.  "Put orange wire here and yellow
there." Maybe the inspectors are illiterate too, so they depend on
colors as well.  "You gotta have have a red one.  If it ain't red
then I can't sign off."

--
Mike

Moving forward in pushing back the envelope of the corporate paradigm.