[TriLUG] SuSE newbie: dhcp only gets IP address

Bob Shepherd rwshep2000 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 22 14:05:13 EDT 2004

Stan,

That explains something.  If my DNS information has changed via information
from the DHCP server, I've noticed that YaST tells me, when I look under
Yast / Network Devices / Network Card  that settings have changed, do I want
to overwrite?  So, yes, clearly dynamic info from the DHCP server overrides
the values in /etc/sysconfig/network during a running state, if you tell YaST
to "update name servers and search list via DHCP."

To get your network up, I'm sure you can uncheck this box and put in static
values.  The larger issue, why you're not getting your DNS servers and
default routes from your DHCP server, I can't answer.  Maybe the problem is
your DHCP server, not SuSE?  It's always pretty much worked for me, but I'm a
Linux newbie, so I don't have much idea what's going on "under the hood."

Bob