[TriLUG] Netgear WG121 Wireless usb adapter

William Villalba wllmvillalba at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 1 18:29:12 EDT 2004

Dear all,

I am trying to set up a Netgear WG121 wireless usb adapter in two
desktops, but I am having a bit of trouble with it. I  previously have
set another one up in my laptop--a Netgear MA111 usb wireless
adapter--which is working well. I have Slackware 10.0 and Fedora Core 2
in my laptop, both using kernel 2.6. Given the good results with this
adapter--the Netgear MA111--, I got a couple of Netgear WG121 to use at
home with two desktops. Since the MA111 uses the wlan-ng driver, I tried
this same driver for the WG121 with no luck. One of the desktop--a
pentium III-- has Suse 9.1 with kernel 2.4 and in the other desktop--a
pentium IV--I am using  Gentoo and Mandrake 10.0 both with kernel 2.6. I
did a search on the WG121 usb adapter and saw that it has been tested
with the prism gt--prism54--which I tried as well with no results
either.

Has anyone tried or known someone who has tested this adapter (the
Netgear WG121 usb)? Am I using the wrong driver or is there any
particular setting or issue I have to take into consideration? In order
to install it, I have recompiled the kernels as stated in the readme
with its complete kernel tree. In the case of gentoo, I tried to
"emerge" with FEATURES="usb -pci -sandbox" emerge net-wireless/prism54,
but it gives error and suggests to add "=". Do I have to emerge it,
ebuild it or should I install it from source? I was hoping to have
better luck with gentoo since it takes care of dependencies or possible
problems that may occur. Could anyone be so kind and suggest possible
solutions, links, drivers? I really would like to make this adapter work
under linux.

Any help would be greatly appreciate it.

Thanks so much for your time and consideration.

william