[TriLUG] broadband option in the Triangle area

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Sat Aug 28 01:38:47 EDT 2004

Joseph Tate wrote:

>On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 19:40:29 -0600, Jeff Patterson
><pattersonjeff at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>I would really prefer DHCP, but a static IP would be even better.  I
>>keep seeing info that suggests PPPoE is the trend in the area (am
>>moving from Denver).
>>
>>So far what I've found in the area is BellSouth, Time Warner cable,
>>Sprint.  Is there anything else?  Any/all suggestions feedback would
>>be very appreciated!  Thanks in advance!
>>

>We have discussed this at length in times past.  I'd suggest searching
>our mailing list archives: http://www.trilug.org/pipermail/trilug/
>
>We do have special deals with Intrex.net and Celito.net for TriLUG members.
>
>For Intrex: ...in conjunction with the roll out of our new
>DSL offerings, we also have a special package for TriLUG members.  You
>can get an unrestricted, no-ports-blocked DSL connection, on a business
>or residential line, at the speed of your choice (3m/384k, 1.5m/256k, or
>256k/128k) with a static IP address, for no additional cost above the
>standard residential DSL service fee.  For more details on all of these
>services, associated pricing, etc, you can visit the Intrex.net webpage
>at (you guessed it), http://www.intrex.net

It also happens that the SysAdmin for Intrex is frequently seen on the
list, and at meetings, and as part of the Steering Committee, so there's
certainly good linux-friendly support.  ;)  As for DSL service in the
area, if you're living in a BellSouth area, and qualify for the 3m/384k
service, I would certainly recommend it.  As Joseph mentioned, Intrex
throws in the static IP for TriLUG members at no additional charge.  We
also have some other discounts on additional static IP blocks, DNS
hosting services, etc specifically geared towards TriLUG members (more
details available in the TriLUG Members benefits section).

Most of the DSL services in the area do PPPoE, a few will support PPPoA
as well which is preferable due to less overhead per packet, higher MTU,
etc but it has to be done on the device with the DSL interface, i.e.
usually the modem.  Intrex of course supports both, which ever is more
convenient for the customer.  You should actually be wary of those who
don't require PPPo[AE], and or can not offer the 3m/384k service, as
they're using an older BellSouth network setup which is likely to cause
congestion problems*.

On the flip side of the coin, there are certainly other broadband
offerings in the Triad.  In fact, there are an awful lot of them.  There
is the standard cable service - all Time/Warner under the hood, but if
you look into cable certainly check out the 3rd party providers such as
Earthlink, as the prices are often better.  Generally, if you've had
cable before, you're unlikely to need any support in setting it up, it's
dhcp and about as easy as it comes.  The caveat to cable being that it's
more difficult and expensive to get a Static IP, or additional services
from the cable providers.  And you can go ahead and forget things like
them setting a reverse DNS to make it easier to run your own mail
server.  :)

The Nextel service is commercially available here, now.  I actually have
the service myself, for mobile use, and I like it quite a lot.  I
wouldn't necessarily recommend it for full-time home use, but it's
certainly very handy for helping kill time when it presents itself.
Reading Slashdot from unusual places is what life is all about.  When
you make it to a meeting, ask me about my mobile Nextel / WiFi setup in
the car.  It's always fun to talk about.  :)

Aaron S. Joyner
System Administrator
Intrex.net Internet Services

* - The older service trunks the data from BellSouth to the ISP over T1
circuits (1.5Mb), which of course is easily saturated by one customer's
download.  You can have more than one T1 to BellSouth, but unfortunately
they won't mux the channels, so you can't actually achieve more than
1.5Mbs on any given connection, and that channel is almost certainly
shared among 20+ users.  The newer service has to be trunked over an T3
ATM (45Mbs) and by that requirement reduces those bottlenecking
problems.  The newer offering has it's own minor inherent problems, but
it tends to encourage better practices on the part of the 3rd party
ISPs, who would often dramatically over-subscribe those T1 interfaces.
Yes, Intrex has an ATM to BellSouth for all of our traffic.  :)