[TriLUG] Another WRT54G question

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Tue Aug 31 08:28:08 EDT 2004

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004, Aaron S. Joyner wrote:

> >I'm with Matthew on this one. When smart-assery has consequences beyond
> >the joke, you should keep it private.
> >

> Perhaps that's just Tanner's point.

Matthew's posting was factual and was an attempt to be helpful. The
contents of the posting can be discussed.

Tanner didn't address the contents of the posting but attacked Matthew
personally. I assume this was to intimidate people who want to post
helpful information. This shouldn't happen in a public forum or in
association with a club which hopes to have a public presence.

As to the contents of the problem, i.e. whether TriLUG condones breaking
the rules at RTI, I only know what I read on the mailing list, and it
appears that breaking RTI's rules is an accepted target for humor and that
the appearance of driving home with alcohol aboard is not only accepted
but uproariously funny.

Amongst friends, with agreed assumptions, you can say such things and
people will just smile. To regular posters, seeing that most of the other
posters are people you know well, you may think you're engaging in a
conversation with friends. You're not - your posting goes to everyone on
the list, many of who will not know you personally or have any interest
hearing your assumptions and for who your posting is the only information
they have about you.

Before you post, you need to consider how someone who doesn't know you
will interpret your posting; a potential sponsor, a person from RTI,
someone who is thinking of coming to a meeting, someone's mother or
someone reading an archive years later. If it's not suitable for these
people, then send it off-line.

Joe