[TriLUG] RedHat 9 and cups

Mike M no-linux-support at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 31 10:27:27 EDT 2004

On Tue, Aug 31, 2004 at 09:44:49AM -0400, Joseph Tate wrote:
> <snip> but it can't be that
> bad!

Heh. It can.  Getting the dang printer to work at all is the
first problem.  Then you get to figure out why OpenOffice
won't print or why the the last line of every page is
clipped off or why the quality of print from the browser is
poor.

As for using CUPS browser configurator, be prepared to
know all the incantations it asks for.

The GUIs just hide the fact that you are using lp or lpr and
delay you from learning about those tools first.

To me, printing is in the same class as X.  It's complex and not
well documented.  It's too large to use the force and read the source.
You have to know detailed specifics of your equipment, your
network, workgroups, permissions, etc.  Getting the right driver
installed is important.  Sometimes you have to choose from multiple
drivers for the same printer.

Then there is the quality issue. For my Epson Color 850, the prints
from Linux apps are not as good as prints from Windows apps.

Printing on Linux works but it takes time and effort - sometimes
a lot.  You might be dissappointed with some of the results when you
are through.

What works for me on the rare occasions that I need to print is
booting up a Windows session and print from there.  Good ole Samba
lets me get networked files and Firefox for Windows takes care of
printing from the Web.

One day I should load up a new KDE and see if the printing
situation has improved.  I've got a fresh Sid on a laptop
that would work just fine for that test.
--
Mike

Moving forward in pushing back the envelope of the corporate paradigm.