[TriLUG] OT: Home Depot and Cat 5

Joseph Mack mack.joseph at epa.gov
Tue Oct 5 08:32:41 EDT 2004

Brian Henning wrote:

> > The default cat 5 cable now seems to be single stranded, but when it
>
> Also known as "solid."

ah, thanks

I was quite disgusted to find that a 1000' spool of cat5 I'd ordered from
an electronics supplier, was solid, when I'd wanted multistranded. Last time
I ordered from this guy I got multistranded. When I called him up I found
that the default cable was now solid. Presumably more cat5 is used in plenums
than for patch cables. He seemed to think I should be pleased to get cable
at half the price. Last time I looked, places like Staples or Lowe's weren't
carrying cat5, but when I looked this time, all of their's is solid too.

Buyer beware

Joe
LMIT, Supporting the EPA Research Triangle Park, NC 919-541-0007
Federal Contact - John B. Smith 919-541-1087 - smith.johnb at epa.gov