[TriLUG] OT: Home Depot and Cat 5

Mike M no-linux-support at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 5 10:16:29 EDT 2004

On Tue, Oct 05, 2004 at 08:12:22AM -0400, Brian Henning wrote:
> Also, a networking technician once
> told me there are different crimp-on RJ-45 plugs for solid vs. stranded
> cabling, and using the wrong kind can lead to premature failure.

I was told the "Tyco" connector is good for both types of wire. They are
available at Connect-It.

I bought a 1000' roll of riser Cat5 for my wiring purposes (<$60,
cheap!).  For patch cables I am reconfiguring a heap of 25' and 50'
multi-stranded 4 pair cables I bought in bulk off the web long ago.
I bought a nice crimp tool and use the Tyco connectors.  All of this
helped me beat the wiring cost monster.

I haven't shopped around but it seems to me that patch panel and
outlet connectors are the pricey items.  Anybody found good sources
for these items?  I am comfortable with residential quality parts.

--
Mike

Moving forward in pushing back the envelope of the corporate paradigm.