[TriLUG] Re: Dieing hard drive?

Ben Pitzer uncleben at mindspring.com
Tue Nov 30 11:22:19 EST 2004

Backups are well and good, and I think that everybody should do them.
However, the problem is that (especially for a 120GB HD) a backup system
with enough capacity is way too expensive.  Seagate has/had an IDE Travan
tape drive for around $120, but that held 40GB max compressed.  That's 3
tapes for a full backup of a 120GB drive.  Now, yes, I can see you saying
that you don't need to backup everything.  And I agree.  However in a drive
that large, the OS probably only takes up about 2GB, say.  Then you have all
of the additional software, almost all of which you can reinstall, yes, I
realize.  But how about the config files?  Data files?  Databases?
Documents?  MP3s, Ogg files, mpegs, pr0n, resumes, email, bookmarks,
contacts, gpg keyrings, desktop settings, etc, etc, etc.?

The fact is that a great deal of this data probably won't change.  But if it
does, then you need to have a backup system with enough capacity to handle
even an incremental backup that is at least half of your drive space.  A
home system won't need this as much, unless you're like me, and constantly
updating, adding services, testing new tools, etc.  But the fact is that to
get a system with that kind of capacity is pretty salty.

Unless some of you know of an inexpensive backup system that is larger than
DVD and Travan tapes.  By inexpensive, I mean less than $500.  The $200 and
under range would be better, but I'm not keeping my hopes up too far.

Regards,
Ben Pitzer

"Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
 --Ben Franklin--